Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Canning Adventures


A couple of weekends ago me and the sisters canned some salsa! I was going to blog about how canning works and some great recipes to use. But…I really didn’t do anything to help out besides lend an extra hand to scoop and wash dishes. I felt like was helping a lot, but defiantly not running the show.  But I feel like the canning adventures of the Germaine sisters is worthy enough to blog about.


First I must say growing up cooking in the kitchen is pretty fantastic. Even as we all get older its weird to think how many hours we all spent together in the kitchen cooking and cleaning. I’ve never really canned anything before until now, but the process is pretty simple. One, prepare food to be canned. Two, sterilize and clean some jars. Three, fill the jars then steam them shut. Seems pretty simple right? Well, it is. It is a lot of work, especially if you’re doing a large batch. But it’s the fun kind of work. We made some very yummy salsa. I probably don’t appreciate all the hard work yet. But once its winter and my quesadilla is lonely popping open a jar of homemade salsa sounds fantastic. One thing that I did learn is that hard work always goes by faster if you’re listening to music. This applies not just to canning or cooking but also cleaning and other mundane chores. So, long story short. Canning is fun and oh so very yummy.  It’s a lot of work, but can be fun when you surround yourself with good tunes and people you like.
-Remi

No comments:

Post a Comment